- 2 hrs. 27 min.
- Released on August 1, 2011
- Project Files Included (20 MB)
- Required Software: Softimage 2012 and up
In this series of lessons, we will be exploring the core tools and features of mental ray in Softimage.
Having a solid understanding of the features of mental ray is a crucial step toward becoming an efficient and productive rendering artist in Softimage. We will begin our training by learning several methods for simulating realistic indirect lighting in Softimage, such as global illumination, final gather, as well as Importons and Irradiance Particles. We will also explore the use of caustics to simulate the light patterns created as light passes through refractive surfaces. In addition, we will also explore Image-based lighting techniques, camera and environment shaders, utilizing render passes and render channels, as well as many other tools and techniques that will allow you start rendering high quality work for a multitude of projects.
17 videos in this course
1. Introduction and project overview
2. Using Global Illumination in Softimage
3. Using Final Gather to simulate indirect lighting
4. Combining Global Illumination and Final Gather
5. Image-based lighting in Softimage
6. Rendering with Importons and Irradiance Particles
7. Creating caustic light patterns in Softimage
8. Adjusting photon effects in the Render Tree
9. Utilizing displacement maps in Softimage
10. Rendering Subsurface Scattering in Softimage
11. Physical Sun and Sky shaders in Softimage
12. Working with lens shaders in Softimage
13. Utilizing Portal Lights in Softimage
14. Using the Pixel Time diagnostic in Softimage
15. Working with the Render Manager
16. Using Render Passes in Softimage
17. Using Render Channels in Softimage